| 12°C Dublin

Woman's life fell apart after mum's death

A GRIEVING woman only started using heroin following the death of her mother, which tore her family apart, a court heard.

Trina Creighton (43) claimed she had a normal life and job until her mother died nine years ago, and she started using heroin to numb her pain.

A court heard that Creighton was a shoplifter who repeatedly stole to feed her heroin habit.

Judge David McHugh sentenced Creighton to five months in prison.

The judge also imposed a separate five month sentence suspended for two years.

The defendant, of Fairlawn Road in Finglas, admitted before Blanchardstown District Court to a number of counts of theft.

Creighton admitted stealing four leather jackets, worth €420, from Marks & Spencer in Blanchardstown on April 7 last.

Sgt Mary Doherty said Creighton was searched by gardai at the time and found with goods, valued at €29, from Dunnes Stores, also in Blanchardstown.

The defendant also admitted taking six air fresheners, worth €32, from Tesco, Navan Road on August 28, 2013.

Creighton further admitted to stealing clothing, worth €86, from Dunnes Stores, Ilac Shopping Centre, Dublin 1 on May 29, 2013.


She also admitted to possession of a foil-lined bag and to stealing four litres of vodka, costing €80, from Aldi in Finglas on July 7 last.

Sgt Doherty said the property was all recovered and Creighton co-operated with gardai.

The court heard that Creighton has 30 previous convictions, many for theft related matters.

Defence solicitor John O'Doherty said the defendant's mother died when she was in her mid-30s and Creighton's life and family fell apart following her death.

Mr O'Doherty said Creighton had a normal lifestyle and had a good job prior to her mother's death, which floored her.

He said that Creighton started using heroin, and she has struggled to deal with her heroin addiction.

Mr O'Doherty said Creighton was stealing to feed her habit.

He also said that Creighton had no previous convictions prior to her mother's death.

The court also heard that Creighton has been in and out of prison in the last few years, and has tried to rehabilitate herself.

Judge McHugh said that due to the number of convictions he felt he had no option but to send Creighton to jail.