| 14.4°C Dublin

Woman cleared of garda assault in city pub 'riot'

A YOUNG woman who had been accused of seriously assaulting a female garda during a "full-blown riot" outside a Dublin pub, has had her case dismissed.

Cody McCann (21) was alleged to have been among a group of people who injured the officer as gardai came under "sustained attack" from violent pubgoers.

Ms McCann was 17 years old at the time of the south inner city melee in 2011, when a hostile crowd turned on the outnumbered gardai, one of whom was dragged down a laneway and seriously assaulted by a group of women.

Judge Michael Coughlan dismissed the case after hearing of "serious delays" by the prosecution in bringing the more than three year old case to court.

Ms McCann, previously of Clogher Road, Crumlin, had pleaded not guilty to assault causing harm to Garda Aisling McLaren and violent disorder at Meath Street on January 23, 2011.

Dublin District Court heard the violence happened when a party in a pub spilled out onto the street. This resulted in the assault on Garda McLaren.

A total of 16 people have already been prosecuted in relation to the incident.

Ms McCann's defence said she had initially been told her case was to be dealt with by way of the garda Juvenile Liaison scheme. She said she was unaware that she had to contact anyone about this.

Ms McCann said gardai knew where she was and she was not contacted before being charged in late 2013.

She had been living at the Malthouse Apartments, Marrowbone Lane since April 2011.

Gardai said directions to prosecute Ms McCann were received from the DPP in October 2011.

They maintained they had made several unsuccessful attempts to contact the accused.

Judge Michael Coghlan said there was no evidence the defendant acted either by omission or in a positive way to avoid engaging with the gardai.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy