| 11.6°C Dublin

Woman arrested after man stabbed to death during violent row

A man was stabbed to death during a violent row at the end of Galway race week.

Gardai went to an apartment over a pub close to the Seapoint leisure centre in Salthill after receiving a 999 call at about 10.30pm last night.

They discovered a man with severe stab wounds inside and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A woman who was at the scene was later arrested.

She required medical attention but was last night detained at Mill Street Garda Station in Galway.


The scene was cordoned off last night and a garda forensic team was expected to carry out a full examination of the apartment this morning.

A pathologist from the State Pathologist's office is also expected in Salthill to carry out an initial examination before the body is removed for a post mortem examination at Galway University Hospital.

Gardai at Salthill are appealing to the public for any information which can assist them in their investigation. Also in Galway, a file is to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions as gardai continue their investigations into an incident which left a young man critically ill in a Galway hospital.

The 20-year-old reveller from Waterford was among the race week crowds socialising in Galway city centre in the early hours of Saturday.


Shortly after 3am he was standing with a friend on a 10ft high ESB sub-station at Eyre Square when they became involved in a row with two other young men, who had climbed up to join them.

Following an alleged altercation, the 20-year-old tumbled to the ground and sustained serious head injuries. The other two men immediately fled the scene.

The injured man was rushed by ambulance to Galway University Hospital where his condition was initially described as critical.

His parents travelled to Waterford to keep a vigil by his bedside and yesterday his condition had improved.

He was said to be in a stable condition.

Following a detailed forensic examination of the scene, gardai arrested two local men, both in their 20s, on Saturday.

They were later released without charge and a spokesman confirmed that a file would be sent to the DPP.