| 12.1°C Dublin

Wilson suffers brutal beating in city centre


Maxine Wilson. Photo: Caroline Quinn

Maxine Wilson. Photo: Caroline Quinn

Maxine Wilson. Photo: Caroline Quinn

A NOTORIOUS female criminal has been hospitalised after being savagely beaten by one of her friends in a shocking street attack in Dublin city centre.

Maxine Wilson (34) is being treated at St James's Hospital for a fractured cheekbone and eye socket after being attacked on Camden Street at around 10pm on Tuesday.

After the incident, Gardai arrested a 30-year-old Coolock man who was previously very friendly with Maxine.

He was held in relation to public order offences, but was not questioned about the assault because Maxine refused to make a complaint.

A senior source said: "Maxine got a terrible hiding – both she and her attacker were in a very drunken state when this row broke out on what was a very busy street.

"Gardai were on the scene very quickly and if this had not happened, she may have got even worse injuries.

"The reality is that this would not have happened Maxine if she was where she belonged, and that is in prison."

The source added: "Unless Maxine makes a complaint, it will be very difficult for gardai to pursue assault charges in this case. She has been left with some pretty bad facial injuries."



Gardai had previously expressed major concern that Maxine, of New Street Gardens, Dublin, was given temporary release from prison on the very same day that she was jailed for three months on Wednesday of last week.

The criminal has 13 previous convictions which include a three-year jail sentence for a burglary.

Blanchardstown District Court handed down the three-month sentence last week after she admitted charges of criminal trespass and assault.

The incident took place at Greenfort Drive in Clondalkin on May 28 last year, when Wilson and an accomplice forced their way into the house and assaulted a young woman living there.

She did not suffer any injuries during the attack. A third charge of burglary was struck out.



At previous court hearings, security was tight at Blanchardstown Court for the case and up to 10 armed detectives were in court to hear the pair plead guilty to the charges.

The personal details of everyone entering the court was also recorded by officers.

Her accomplice David Crowley (37), of New Bride Street in Dublin's south inner city, was jailed for seven years in a separate case last April.

Crowley was convicted of attacking another man with a meat cleaver after breaking into his Blanchardstown home in June 2009.

He was also convicted of possession of a shotgun on the same occasion.