There are many physical and mental benefits that come with increased moderate exercise and these include:
1. Stess reduction: By boosting serotonin levels in your brain which make you feel good
2. Increased energy levels: Increased blood flow prevents lethargy
3. Weight loss: Brisk walking and running helps you to lose weight and look good not to mention, improving your cholesterol levels and burning fat
4. Better bones: Running in particular is great for your bones - it improves bone density to prevent osteoporosis.
5. Improved immunity: Moderate levels of running boost your immune system, increasing white blood cells to help combat cancer, diabetes.
6. A better outlook: When you look well, feel well, think well....you will be well!
Following an exercise plan, developed by a fitness expert is a great step towards leading a healthier life and moderate physical activity such as walking briskly is perfectly safe for most people.
However it is worth checking in with your GP if you are completely new to exercise or indeed if you are thinking of increasing you exercise levels substantially. We can often put our health at the end of our daily checklist and can dismiss every-day symptoms such as on-going dizziness, shortness of breath, lower leg pain when walking or ankle swelling.
Like-wise before you embark on any of the training programmes in this app, I would particularly recommend consulting with your GP if you have any of the following conditions or illnesses:
• Heart disease
• Kidney disease
• Asthma or any lung disease
• Old and recurrent musculoskeletal injuries
Looking after your general health is just as important as getting fit so no matter what your health status or fitness level, if you are unsure about a health niggle or issue please seek advice from your GP.
Your GP is best placed to ensure everything is in working order as well as advising you on the best level of exercise for your own health needs.