| 24.9°C Dublin

'We're homeless, we'll have to sleep in a van' say shocked pair

"We are homeless. We have nowhere to live."

These are the desperate words spoken by Violet Coyne (61), who found herself evicted from the home she shared for 15 years with her pensioner husband Martin (73).

The couple said they would be forced to "sleep in a van".

The were yesterday forced to leave their home following an early-morning swoop by bailiffs at the house at Luttrell Park Drive in Carpenterstown, west Dublin.

The mood was dark outside the house last night, as friends were eventually allowed to take some of their possessions.


Their residency at the house, where they have been tenants, had been the centre of long-running court proceedings as the couple had refused to leave.

It had been agreed the couple would be able to return to their former home to collect some of their possessions after yesterday's court hearing.

However, there were tense scenes outside the home after security personnel for the receiver refused to allow the couple entry to the house for over an hour.

A large crowd gathered and gardai were also called to the scene following heated confrontations between the security personnel and those who had gathered.

However, friends of the couple were eventually allowed entry to gather some belongings, which were removed in a van, after negotiations between the couple, the receivers and the security personnel.

Mrs Coyne wept as they began loading her items into the van.

"I don't know what we're going to do. We'll be homeless. It's disgraceful they can treat us like this. We're still in shock," Mrs Coyne said last night.

Meanwhile, Mr Coyne summed up how he was feeling after a fraught day yesterday, as "dreadful, absolutely dreadful".

"We have no such thing as plan B," he said.

Martin told how a friend of his with a van had offered to put some of their stuff in his garage.

"Don't forget, there is 40 years of stuff there. It will take about 10 trips at least, I would say, to get it all out," he said.

Martin said the shed out the back of the house was full of his son Derek's (37) tools, and about 20 fishing rods.

"That is the only outlet we have had for years, we would go fishing, and Violet too. Everything that is there is ours. There are years and years of photographs," the devastated pensioner said.

He had not seen the suddenness of the eviction yesterday morning coming.

"I thought at least we would be able to get back into the house, even as temporary as it might be, but of course it didn't happen."


"We have to go up to the council to see what is going on, the homeless section," he said. "Naturally we would like to stay in the area but there doesn't seem to be anything here.

"We will just have to see how it pans out, but I can't see any good news at the end of it, put it that way," Martin said.

He was left yesterday morning without even his shoes to go to court, after they weren't allowed back in the house to get anything. "The stress really gets you down," he added.

After yesterday's court hearing Violet had said: "There was no justice done in that court today.

"We can never get back into that house unless it is by force," she told the Herald.

"The court has been adjourned to October, but we don't know what we will do until then," Violet explained.

"We will have to go to the council and declare ourselves homeless, but when the court was over the council offices were closed so that is something we will have to do," Violet said.

A crowd of 30 gathered outside the house last night in support of the couple.

A friend of the couple moved a van into the driveway of the home to remove their possessions. Their belongings were put into containers and loaded into the van before it drove off.