| 4.2°C Dublin

Was taxi driver beaten to death for day's takings?

GARDAI believe a taxi driver may have been murdered for his day's takings.

The body of Michael Healy (62) was discovered at his flat in the St Luke's area of Cork city by his brother on Wednesday morning.

A 38-year-old Irish man was arrested in Passage West about five miles east of Cork city last night in connection with the murder.

He was taken to Mayfield Garda Station for questioning.

Superintendent Tom Myers said that it was possible that somebody had robbed the taxi driver, who had been working as a driver in the city for the past 10 years. Gardai are trying to determine if anything was missing from Mr Healy's flat.

His brother Dermot had gone to check on Mr Healy after family members became concerned that he had not been seen for several days.

According to gardai, the victim's body may have lain in his city-centre apartment for several days. Mr Healy died as a result of a horrific head injury.


Gardai have appealed for anyone who was in the Rocksprings Terrace area of St Luke's in Cork over the past week to contact them.

Detectives are hoping that Mr Healy's taxi -- a black 2003-registered Toyota Avensis -- may hold clues to his killing. There was no sign of forced entry at Mr Healy's flat -- and gardai are examining the possibility the deceased may have known his killer or may have been forced back to his flat by someone he met elsewhere.

A team of more than 40 gardai have been assigned to the case and Supt Myers, of Mayfield Garda Station, said they were determined to discover what happened.

He said: "Door to door inquiries are being carried out in the St Luke's area -- our divisional search team is at the scene trying to gather evidence. We have forensic scientists from Garda HQ at the scene as well."

Detectives also want to trace the last-known movements of Mr Healy's car, a black saloon with the registration number 03-C-4073.

Supt Myers confirmed that gardai were investigating two possible sightings of the car. The first was at 10.30am on Friday, September 17 and the second was in the city centre at 8.45pm on Saturday.


Cork Taxi Drivers Federation expressed their shock at the killing of their colleague yesterday.

"Michael was a true gentleman -- he was extremely well known and respected through his work and we are all deeply shocked by the news of his death," one taxi driver said.