| 8°C Dublin

Victim of road rage in a coma after city attack

A MAN is fighting for his life in hospital after being bludgeoned with a hurl in a Dublin 4 road rage attack.

Gardai are hunting for a man today after the attack in Sandymount last Sunday, which has left a 49-year-old man gravely ill.

Detectives believe that the victim, understood to be an English national, was struck over the head with a blunt instrument, leaving him with serious head injuries.

A middle-aged man near the scene said today: "I heard in the local shop that someone had pulled out in front of someone else on the road. It's shocking that it should come to this. It's the times we live in. It's very sad."

Residents said that the area is extremely quiet on Sunday evenings.

Gardai have discovered the identity of the other individual involved in the fight and are seeking the help of the public to trace him.

"We are following a definite line of enquiry and the investigation is progressing well," a garda spokesperson told the Herald this morning.

The victim, who is understood to have been working in Dublin for the past two months, is said to be in a serious condition this morning after being place in an induced coma at Beaumont's Intensive Care Unit.

The altercation between the two motorists took place at the junction of Sandymount Road, Newbridge Avenue and Tritonville Road, Sandymount, Dublin 4 at 7.25pm on Sunday.

A 40-metre stretch of the junction was sealed off as forensics experts examined the scene and gardai are now anxious to track down any witnesses.

Gardai at Irishtown station confirmed that there were a number of people in the area at the time of the incident and they are urged to come forward.

Gardai are appealing to any person who witnessed the incident and request that they contact Irishtown Garda Station on 01 6669600 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

A local woman said today: "The gardai were knocking on everyone's doors on Monday night and they had a forensic van in the area."

An elderly man living in the vicinity said: "All I heard was that a hurl was used. It must have happened fairly quickly."