| 7°C Dublin

Vandals held for smashing up city train

GARDAI were forced to chase train vandals down railway lines after an early morning commuter train was vandalised.

The three men smashed windows and pulled the emergency breaks on the Dublin-bound train before two of them jumped off the carriage and tried to escape along the line near Leixlip.

It is understood that the third culprit stayed on the train until Ashtown where he got off.

No passengers were injured during the incident on the 5.40am service from Longford to Dublin, but services along the line were delayed .

Two of the men were arrested by gardai afterwards.

The drama began shortly before 7am yesterday when the three men started smashing windows on the train.

It is believed they used the steel-tipped hammer kept on board the carriage for cases of emergency. They also pulled the emergency handles, causing the train to come to halt 200 metres outside Leixlip station.

When the driver attempted to restart the train, the vandals pulled the emergency handles a second time. It is understood there were 200 people on board.


When alerted that gardai were en route, two of the vandals left the train and ran down the railway tracks.

Arriving gardai chased them along the line, while services were meanwhile suspended.

A spokesman for Iarnrod Eireann said two of the suspected vandals were apprehended by gardai and arrested.

They added: "A group of three people on board had been pulling the emergency handles, which control the brakes and make them apply automatically.

"The driver was attempting to reset the brakes, but they started pulling the emergency handle again."

"It appears that the train stopped and they got off when they were made aware that gardai were on the way.

"Two people got off the train and went on the track and gardai were in pursuit. Between the offenders and the gardai, there were a lot of people on the tracks. The line re-opened just before 8am."

Trains between Clonsilla and Lexilip were suspended during the incident.

The disturbance delayed commuters for more than 40 minutes.