| 3.2°C Dublin

Under-threat gang target is back in city


Gangster was an associate of slain BJ Clarke

Gangster was an associate of slain BJ Clarke

Gangster was an associate of slain BJ Clarke

A close associate of a slain Coolock gangster who has spent years living in exile in Liverpool is believed to be back living in the capital permanently, sources have revealed.

Gardai have been monitoring the man since he returned to his north Dublin bolthole.

The 25-year-old has been the target of a number of murder attempts after he became involved in deadly feuds with the 'Mr Big' crime organisation, as well as Travellers connected to the slain Joyce brothers, JP and Tommy Joyce, who were murdered between June 2009 and January 2010.

The criminal was a very close associate of John 'BJ' Clarke, the drug dealer who was shot dead in a gangland hit in Artane on May 7, 2009.

At the time of his murder, BJ Clarke was one of the biggest dealers operating in the north of the capital.

When he was being brought to the hospital after he was shot, Clarke handed his €80,000 Rolex diamond and ruby-encrusted watch to a pal.

The item was later seized by Cab after a crackdown on his gang.

In July, 2011, the headstone on Clarke's grave was smashed up and had to be removed.

Prior to his murder, BJ Clarke had been warned by gardai that his life was in danger and it was the second time that he had been the victim of a gun attack in six weeks.


After BJ's murder, his close associate became a gangland target and he survived a number of assassination attempts himself.

One of these happened when he was injured after 10 shots were fired at him outside a house in north Dublin in 2010, and he is believed to have been one of the intended targets of a double murder in Finglas in November of that year.

That shocking double murder was the killing of cousins Glen Murphy (19), from O'Devaney Gardens, and Mark Noonan (23), from Drumalee - both in the north inner city - who were shot dead outside a service station at the Clearwater shopping centre in Finglas.

The killers, who are also closely linked to at least three other separate murders on the capital's northside, fled to Northern Ireland immediately after the cold-blooded executions and have not been spotted back in Dublin since.

The cousins were killed after the gangsters mistakenly put a "non-sophisticated" tracking device on the Toyota Avensis car that was owned by tragic Mark Noonan.

After the double murder in Finglas, he fled Ireland and is believed to have lived in continental Europe for a number of months.

From there, he moved to Liverpool and after "testing the lie of the land" by making short trips back to Dublin from Liverpool, he moved back to Ireland permanently a number of weeks ago.

kfoy@herald. ie