| 13.1°C Dublin

Truck-stop gun victim winning battle for life

A man who was shot at a truck stop beside Dublin Airport earlier this month is expected to survive the attack on his life.

The victim was targeted by a gunman wearing a hockey mask as the inner-city gangland feud involving jailed crime boss Christy Griffin re-ignited.

He was hit twice in the arm and fragments also entered his chest.

A second man, who was sitting in the passenger seat of the Volkswagen Bora, was not injured in the shooting at 1pm on December 17.

While it was initially thought the victim's injuries were not life-threatening, his condition deteriorated after he was rushed to Beaumont Hospital due to complications from his gunshot wounds.


But sources close to the investigation now say the man is making a recovery and is expected to survive. The injured man is in his 40s and is awaiting trial on larceny charges.

Gardai believe that the man was attacked in revenge for a shooting attack on a pal of Griffin's in Swords last October.

The target in that incident survived and the man shot at the truck stop was threatened shortly after the attack because he was on the rival side in the feud.

The victim is believed to have been targeted by associates of child rapist Griffin, who is serving life for sexually assaulting his partner's daughter.

Griffin, a major crime figure from Sheriff Street in Dublin 1, headed the gang which split following the rape allegations.

The gangland feud has already claimed five lives.

The victim was sitting in a parked car in a lay-by close to Dublin Airport on the Naul Road on December 17 when a dark coloured saloon-type car pulled in and a gunman got out of the passenger side.

The gunman opened fire, hitting the victim in the arm, before fleeing in another vehicle.

He was described as being 5ft 10ins to 5ft 11ins in height and was wearing a high visibility jacket and an ice-hockey-type mask or visor.

One witness said he heard a number of shots being fired.

An ambulance was on the scene, at the rear fence of Dublin Airport, within 10 minutes.

Gardai later removed the victim's car and took it away for forensic examination.

The driver's window had been shot out, leaving shattered glass littering the scene afterwards.