| 8.8°C Dublin

TRACKED: Sex attacker's new life in Holland

LARRY MURPHY has worked as a store man in a logistics firm since January and has just one friend with whom he appears to spend all his spare time.

THE casually-dressed young woman approaches the bus shelter, intent on checking the timetable.

She edges past the somewhat gaunt, middle-aged man who appears to be doing the same thing. Maybe she noticed the look he gave her, and maybe she didn’t. Young women are used to being looked at as they go about their business.

What is almost certain, though, is that she didn’t know that the man she practically had to brush by is a violent rapist who almost murdered his victim.

Murphy, who spent 10 years in prison for a rape and attempted murder which shocked the country, now goes to work by motorbike at around 4am every morning.

He shops in local shops close to his home and goes on the occasional fishing expedition with his Dublin friend.

The two men were filmed going fishing together and, on one occasion, taking a train from Amsterdam's Central Station to another unknown city for a weekend.

Murphy, who now looks haggard and drawn, avoids contact with local people in the area where he lives, most of whon are either working class Dutch or immigrants from outside Europe.

The sexual predator regularly orders food from a fast food outlet close to his home.

And he can also buy his hashish, if he wishes, in a coffee shop a few yards from his home.

While those around him have no reason to know of his terrifying past, it is understood Dutch police were alerted to his presence in Amsterdam by Europol who classify him as a "dangerous person".

Officers have visited Murphy to "check" his travel documents but during our investigation there was no indication that he was under any police surveillance.

The Herald has learned that Murphy's victim is still terrified that he may return to Ireland and has been in regular contact with gardai when rumours circulate that he is returning to Ireland.

Murphy became the most feared sexual predator in recent Irish history when he was convicted of the horrific rape and attempted murder of a businesswoman in February 2000.

He never offered any kind of explanation for his horrific attack to either detectives or his family or now-estranged wife. He later pleaded guilty.

While in prison Murphy refused to take part in counselling.

Because his crime predates the Sex Offenders Act, Murphy is not obliged to register as a sex offender.

Murphy was secretly filmed over several months by an investigation team as part of a special TV3 report on Murphy's current whereabouts which is due to be broadcast tonight.

The investigation, in conjunction with the Herald, reveals that despite hundreds of reported sightings of him by terrified women across the country, Murphy has not lived anywhere in Ireland since his release from prison in August 2010.

The feared sex attacker was snapped by photographers Padraig O'Reilly and Ciaran McGowan over several days between July and October.

At the same time he was supposedly spotted in several locations around Ireland including Longford, Leitrim and Limerick.

Just last month, companies operating in the Danville Business Park in Kilkenny hired extra security staff to protect employees after rumours spread that he was living in the area.

Another report claimed that he had moved to South America. However, Murphy has spent all his time between Barcelona and Amsterdam.

He has vowed never to return to Ireland because he is terrified of being lynched by an angry mob and hounded by the media.

When we finally confronted him in the street a number of weeks ago -- at the same time as his reported sighting in Kilkenny -- he refused to answer our questions and sprinted off down a side street.

Garda HQ in Dublin first issued an international alert about Murphy when he left the country in August 2010 following his release from prison after serving 10 years for the abduction, multiple rape and attempted murder of a young woman he had been stalking.

In the report, gardai outlined Murphy's horrific attack and how he is suspected of being responsible for the disappearance and murder of three women, Annie McCarrick, Jo Jo Dullard and Deirdre Jacob.

They also furnished the European police agency and Interpol with pictures of the Murphy and his passport has been "flagged" at all border crossings throughout Europe to alert local police to his presence.

The last time Murphy was in Ireland was June 2011 when he returned to the country for three weeks while awaiting a replacement for his passport.

He lost the passport in Barcelona where he had been working since his release from prison in August 2010.


However this was the first time Spanish police realised he had been living in the city after he reported his passport stolen at a local police station.

The same news investigation team also confronted Murphy just after he arrived at Dublin airport on that occasion.

Murphy, who was in hiding in Dublin throughout his three-week stay, left the country on a ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg.

He slipped out of view when he bought a ticket on a train bound for Spain from Paris.

TV3's Midweek will air tonight at 10pm