| 13.8°C Dublin

Tourist died from codine overdose for back pain

An American tourist died after accidentally taking a toxic dose of codeine prescribed to her after she hurt herself pulling her bag while travelling to Ireland, an inquest heard.

Jonatha Skeete (68), a mother-of-two from Laurelton in Queens, New York, was pronounced dead at St Columcille's Hospital, Loughlinstown, on July 27 last year, just two days after she had arrived in Ireland on a family vacation.

Her husband Glen Skeete did not travel for the inquest at Dublin Coroner's Court.

A report to the coroner from Dr Rafid Khashan at the Dame Street Medical Centre said that she had attended the clinic on July 25 - the day she arrived in Ireland.

complaining

"Jonatha was complaining of pain," Dr Khashan stated.

He advised her to go to a physio and prescribed her seven days' worth of anti-inflammatory painkiller Diclac, five days' worth of benzodiazepine Anxicalm and a week's worth of painkiller Tylex.

Garda Alan Conlon said that Mr Skeete had confirmed that she was in "quite a lot of pain" from the injury and had been "self-medicating".

She had also been regularly taking baby aspirin for a heart issue.

The pathologist found that she died as a result of pulmonary aspiration.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy