| 13°C Dublin

Toddler dies after mum finds her with curtain cord around neck

Close

The child was rushed to Cork University Hospital

The child was rushed to Cork University Hospital

The child was rushed to Cork University Hospital

A toddler has died after a freak accident in her home.

The 13-month-old girl died despite frantic efforts to save her after she was apparently strangled when the string from a curtain or blinds assembly got wrapped around her neck while she was playing.

The child was named locally last night as Leah Troy, the youngest child of Mike and Alice Troy who live at Del- aney Park, just off Dublin Hill, Cork.

They have lived in the area for a number of years.

Little Leah celebrated her first birthday only last month.

It is understood that the child was found unconscious by her mother, who had gone to check on her as she played.

She raised the alarm, and she and neighbours desperately tried to revive her.

Leah was rushed to Cork University Hospital (CUH), where doctors tried to save her.

However, they were unable to revive her and she was pronounced dead a short time later.

The family, who are from the Cork area, were being comforted last night by relatives, friends and neighbours.

"It's just heartbreaking. Everyone is totally devastated by what happened," one distraught neighbour said.

Escape

A file on the incident will be prepared by gardai for a coroner.

A number of such curtain cord tragedies have hit Ireland in the past decade or so.

Toddlers have died in Dublin, Kilkenny and Cork since 2005 after they became accidentally entangled in curtain cords.

Four years ago, a three-year-old Donegal boy had a lucky escape when he was found entangled in a curtain cord, but doctors managed to revive him.

In 2014, two-year-old Roisin Redmond, of Graiguenamanagh, Co Kilkenny, died after getting caught in a looped blind cord at a relative's house.

Her mother, Lynda, later issued an emotional safety appeal.

"Maybe I can save someone's life by talking about this. If this can happen to us, it can happen to anyone," she said.

"If 10 people check their blinds, then I've made a difference."

A near-identical tragedy in February 2009 claimed the life of two-year-old Arran Malley, who died after becoming entangled in a cord while playing in the upstairs bedroom of his home in Carrigtwohill, Co Cork.

Arran's parents, Shane and Gillian, launched a campaign for greater safety systems on curtain and blind systems.


Privacy