THREE teenage boys including one described as "a danger to himself and others" avoided being held in custody yesterday due to a shortage of spaces in detention centres.
In each case gardai had applied for bail to be revoked and Judge John O'Connor agreed that they should be held in custody.
However, he was forced to grant bail to the teens, who were before the court for unrelated cases. Judge O'Connor heard that there were no spaces available in the Oberstown/Trinity House detention facility for juveniles in north Co. Dublin.
One boy was before the court for assaulting his father but had broken his bail conditions.
Another case involved a 16-year-old boy who had been granted bail last week after he pleaded guilty to damaging fittings and fixtures in his care home. Yesterday he was brought before the court on a new charge of possessing a stolen €50 note which belonged to a care worker at his accommodation.
Defence solicitor Michelle Finan told the court the boy has an on-going drug problem and at present he was a "danger to himself and others". Gardai agreed with her description of the boy's current state and had asked for him to be remanded in custody.
He has wreaking "havoc" at his care home, the court was told.
Judge O'Connor said that this boy, like two others before the court, met the criteria for being remanded in custody. There were not adequate bail supports, he said adding, "realistically we will not have a bed until Friday".