A man charged with murdering a father-of-one in north Dublin told gardai he stabbed him in the side three times with a knife, his trial has heard.
The jury was also told that Andrew Gibney went to a garda station of his own will and told officers: "I was involved in the incident, the chap is dead now and I need to give him peace."
Sgt Patrick Traynor was giving evidence to the Central Criminal Court yesterday on the third day of the 25-year-old's trial.
Mr Gibney, of Dromheath Avenue, Mulhuddart, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Gerard Burnett (28) at Castlecurragh Vale, Mulhuddart, on August 21, 2012.
Sgt Traynor said he was on duty on August 28 when Mr Gibney and his father came into Blanchardstown Garda Station and asked to speak to someone about Mr Burnett's death.
The accused told Sgt Traynor that he had a knife on the night of the incident and had used it on Mr Burnett by stabbing him "three times in the side".
Chief State Pathologist Prof Marie Cassidy gave evidence on Wednesday that she carried out a post-mortem on Mr Burnett's body, which had been found in his porch.
She said there were 30 knife injuries, but only six stab wounds had deeply penetrated the skin.
Prof Cassidy testified that these six wounds were to the right side of Mr Burnett's chest and had caused internal injuries to his right lung, heart and liver.
Sgt Traynor agreed that Mr Gibney's father was present throughout their conversation.
When the accused was asked if he wanted to add or change anything to his statement, he said: "No, I'm sorry to the family." Mr Gibney was then arrested for assault causing serious harm.
Under cross-examination by Giollaiosa O Lideadha, defending, Sgt Traynor agreed that Mr Gibney and his father were upset at the time.
He also agreed that Mr Gibney's father had been away on holiday and when he came home he had found his son "in a ball", crying in his bedroom.
The two men spoke and then went to the station to make an admission, the court heard.
Earlier, the jury was told that gardai searched Mr Gibney's home on August 27 and four kitchen knives were seized.
The trial continues.