| 3.6°C Dublin

Teenager held on shotgun charges

A TEENAGER charged with possessing a sawn-off shotgun in connection with an attempted robbery at a post office in Finglas last month has been further remanded in custody with consent to bail.

The 17-year-old boy has been charged at the Dublin Children's Court under the Firearms Act for possessing a sawn-off double barrel shotgun, at Collins Place, in Finglas, on December 2 last.

Judge Bryan Smyth had set bail subject to an independent surety in the sum of €8,000 being approved.

However, the bail has not yet been taken up by the defendant, who cannot be named because he is a juvenile.

Judge Smyth remanded the teenager for a further four weeks for directions from the DPP to be obtained.

Garda Shane Guinan had objected to bail earlier citing "the nature and seriousness of the offence", which he said carried a maximum sentence of 14 years.

He had told the court it was alleged that people "called to the post mistress's door on December 2, having knocked at the door several times and attempting to gain entry, the accused and two others left the scene and discarded items, face masks, white suits, duct tape, cable ties and a sawn-off shotgun".

Two adult co-defendants have also been charged in connection with the alleged incident.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy