| 15.4°C Dublin

Teenage beautician dies in morning car crash driving to work


Laura Quinn, who died in a road accident yesterday morning

Laura Quinn, who died in a road accident yesterday morning

Laura Quinn, who died in a road accident yesterday morning

A young motorist died on her way to work yesterday morning in a crash near the town of Cahir in Co Tipperary.

The 19-year-old victim was named locally as Laura Quinn from Kilshane, near Bansha, in Co Tipperary, who worked as a beautician in Clonmel and was driving herself to work when the crash happened at about 8.30am.

It was the second tragedy to hit the extended Quinn family in less than a year, after Laura's cousin Conor Quinn (24) was fatally stabbed in an incident in Co Cork last July.

Ms Quinn's car, a Fiat Punto, left the road and struck a tree, causing fatal injuries to the young woman.

Emergency services were quickly at the scene, which was on the N24 close to the Tipperary Road roundabout on the edge of Cahir.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. The young beautician was the sole occupant of the car and there was no other vehicle involved.

Her body was taken to University Hospital Waterford for a post-mortem examination, while the coroner for Tipperary South was informed of the death. Gardai closed the road, a section of the N24 in the townland of Ballydrehid on the Bansha side of Cahir, to allow a forensic examination be carried out by technical experts, and the road remained closed for a number of hours.


Laura lived with her parents Anthony and Philomena in the Kilshane area, between Bansha and Tipperary town, and also had a number of siblings.

"They are a very good family, very well-known and liked," local Fine Gael councillor Michael Fitzgerald said.

"It's only sinking in, what happened. I know them very well. They're a lovely family. It's terribly sad, a terrible tragedy."

Conor Quinn, a first cousin to Laura, died after being stabbed on the street in Mallow, Co Cork, last July.

He had attended a horse fair earlier that day in Buttevant and was fatally injured with a knife on the street by a man who is subsequently believed to have fled to the UK.

His death happened just days before his partner Stephanie was due to give birth.

Gardai in Cahir are investigating the circumstances surrounding yesterday's crash and have appealed for any witnesses to get in touch.