| 13.8°C Dublin

Teen suffered painful death, court is told


Danny McAnaspie

Danny McAnaspie

Danny McAnaspie

DANIEL McAnespie, the teenager who was in the care of the State at the time of his murder three years ago, suffered 'a painful death' after being stabbed multiple times in the chest with garden shears.

The revelation came on day three of the trial at the Central Criminal Court of Trevor Noone (25) and Richard Dekker (27), both of Whitestown Avenue in Blanchardstown.

Both have pleaded not guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Daniel McAnespie at Tolka Valley Park, Blanchardstown, on February 26, 2010.



Deputy State Pathologist, Dr Khalid Jaber, told Mr Brendan Grehan, prosecuting counsel, that the badly decomposed body of Daniel was found in a shallow stream on farmland in Rathfeigh, Co Meath, on May 13, 2010 – three months after he had been stabbed.

"Despite decomposition and insect infestation, there was evidence of perforating of the internal organs, such as the heart, lungs, stomach," said Dr Jaber.

He said Daniel died "a painful death". He said there was evidence of drugs such as benzodiazepine and ephedrine in the muscle tissue, and the clothes Daniel was wearing were badly decomposed. He said he was shown a photograph of one half of a garden shears suspected as the murder weapon and he could state the wounds would be caused by such a blade.

Dr David Casey, of the Forensic Science Laboratory, told the jury on examining the decomposed clothing Daniel had on him when his body was found, he could say up to 12 stab cuts were inflicted on the body.

He said he could not retrieve any DNA evidence from the one half of a garden shears that was found in the Tolka Valley river as it had remained in the water for some time.

In his opening address, Mr Grehan said the jury would hear evidence that Daniel was last seen alive on February 26, 2010 at Whitestown Avenue in the company of the two accused.

He told the jury it is the prosecution's case that both men were involved in the stabbing of Daniel with one half of a shears.



Mr Grehan said both accused admitted to gardai that they were present when Daniel met his death, that each accused effectively say the other killed the teenager and that each told gardai they were "just bystanders".

The trial continues before Mr Justice Paul Butler and a jury of seven men and five women.