| 8.1°C Dublin

Teen is stabbed near scene of knife killings

A TEENAGER had to undergo emergency surgery after he was attacked with a knife close to where Toyosi Shittabey and Daniel McAnaspie were stabbed to death.

The youth, believed to be in his late teens, was repeatedly stabbed as he made his way to the shops in Tyrellstown by an unknown assailant in broad daylight, according to gardai.

At around 5pm, the teenager was rushed to James Connolly Memorial Hospital in Blanchardstown where he underwent emergency surgery to treat a number of stab wounds.

Gardai are continuing to investigate the incident, although sources suggest that the victim has not co-operated with detectives and has no intention of filing a complaint.

His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Labour spokesperson on Justice Pat Rabbitte told the Herald: "It is a fact of life at the moment. We are seeing more and more teenagers resorting to knives and other weapons to settle disputes.

"Although the penalties are strict, it's a very, very difficult area to police and enforcement is tough.

"Tackling this problem requires a superhuman effort from parents, teachers, Government and communities to change the habits of young people who resort to using knives.

"These instances are causing huge trauma in communities and are sad and painful events for everyone involved."

Toyosi Shittabey (15) was tragically stabbed to death on April 2 this year as he made his way back from the National Aquatic Centre with friends.

The soccer enthusiast died just a few hundred feet from his home in Tyrrellstown during an altercation.

There was a huge outcry in the community following the incident.

Two men have been charged in relation to his death.

West Dublin was also rocked this year by the story of Daniel McAnaspie who was stabbed to death with garden shears that were found on open ground in Tolka Valley Park, Blanchardstown.

Daniel was last spotted alive at Whitestown Avenue, Blanchardstown, at around 3.30am on February 26 and gardai think he was killed by two assailants shortly afterwards.

His body was discovered last month in a ditch at Gilliamstown, Rathfeigh, near Duleek, Co Meath.

A number of people have been arrested in connection with the murder investigation but no charges have been brought to date.