| 15.9°C Dublin

Tallaght families evacuated in wave of bombings

GARDAI are investigating whether the discovery of a pipe bomb outside a house in Tallaght last night is linked to an explosion in the same estate earlier in the week.

Several houses had to be evacuated in Donomore Park when the viable device was discovered.

Today a woman in the targeted house told the Herald that there was no reason why they had come under attack.

"Whoever did this should be ashamed of themselves. My husband is in hospital having heart surgery. That's all I have to say," said the woman.

Gardai called in the army bomb disposal unit, who carried out a controlled explosion on the pipe bomb.

This was the second pipe-bomb incident in Donomore Park in just 48 hours.

On Monday night, a viable pipe bomb exploded after it was randomly thrown on the road by thugs.

In the alert last night, a device was discovered in the small garden to the front of the house at the end of Donomore Park just before midnight.

Six houses in the small cul-de-sac were evacuated while the army bomb squad worked at the scene.


The bomb squad arrived at Donomore Park at 1am and had made the area safe by 3am. It was the 25th alert the bomb squad has been called out on so far this year.

Last night's bomb discovery follows two pipe-bomb incidents in Crumlin yesterday morning.

A pipe-bomb was thrown at a house in Clogher Road in Crumlin just after midnight yesterday and a window smashed. Sources say it is a "miracle" a man sitting in a downstairs room wasn't seriously hurt.

The viable pipe bomb exploded after hitting the front of the home.

Nuts and bolts from the device scattered across the home. The Defence Forces deployed the Army Bomb Disposal Team to the house after a request from gardai.

The team arrived at the scene where a viable device was made safe and was then handed over to gardai for their investigations.

Less than two hours later the team was directed to another house at Limekiln Green, Walkinstown, where a second bomb was found.

Windows were smashed by the gang using a pole. They also brandished other weapons.

Army bomb officers made the device safe.