| 2.4°C Dublin

Suspect held over murder of teacher in pub

GARDAI investigating the death of teacher John Kenny have arrested a man in his late 30s.

The man, who is in his late 30s, was arrested in Galway city last night at 9pm.

He is currently being held at Millstreet Garda station in the city under section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

Mr Kenny's body was discovered in the ground floor of his pub on Sunday evening.

His hands had been tied behind his back and he had been violently assaulted.

The father-of-one is set to be buried this weekend.

As the investigation into his death continues, his grieving family are preparing to say a final farewell to the much-loved man.


Gardai are now preparing to release the remains of the teacher and part-time publican to his family and funeral arrangements are being finalised. Sympathisers will pay their last respects to Mr Kenny tomorrow evening at Walsh's Funeral Home in Oughterard and his funeral Mass will be at noon on Saturday.

Mr Kenny was found by his daughter Gillian in a locked room on the premises. She had become concerned when she hadn't heard from her father during the day.

Gardai launched a murder investigation after a post mortem found he died as a result of a violent assault.

Last night, a specialised search team completed an extensive search of the premises where Mr Kenny was tied up and killed.

Local gardai were joined by detectives from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Dublin as the inquiry was upgraded to murder.

Officers were today continuing to interview a number of witnesses that have come forward. Gardai said they are following a number of lines of inquiry including the possibility that Mr Kenny died as a result of a robbery that went wrong.

A sum of money was taken during the attack.

Mr Kenny was in the pub on Saturday night but was not working behind the bar.

A busy schoolteacher who was heavily involved in sport and extra-curricular activities, Mr Kenny only opened the pub on Saturday nights and on Sundays during Bank Holidays.

Friends today told how the father of one was passionate about sport, especially soccer and he was an avid Galway United fan.

Locals say he loved discussing sport in the pub but he was not an armchair fan and kept himself very fit.

Another aspect being checked out by gardai is why the bar closed an hour early on the night of the murder.

Superintendent Noel Kelly, who is leading the investigation into Mr Kenny's death, urged anyone with information to contact Oughterard Garda Station on 091-557320.