| 10.6°C Dublin

Stepdad of missing Amy returns to face court over stabbing

THE stepfather of missing girl Amy Fitzpatrick – who is implicated in the death of her brother – says he is willing to risk a jail term to clear his name.

Looking gaunt and visibly upset, Dave Mahon touched down in Dublin airport yesterday ahead of a scheduled court appearance next week.

"I live in a prison – inside myself – every day of the week," he told the Herald.

Mr Mahon insisted he is an innocent man who is willing to face down whatever charges are brought against him.

He is now facing a number of charges in connection with the fatal stabbing of Dean Fitzpatrick after a file was sent to the DPP.

Mr Mahon said he is fully aware he may be looking at a jail sentence, but is "going to take whatever happens on the chin".

"But it's tough, as you can see," he said. "I'm over here for Audrey, she wanted to come back with me, but she couldn't.

"I honestly don't know – it is what it is. But whatever happens in the future I will take it on the chin.''

Mr Mahon said he doesn't know what charges he will face, but vowed to voluntarily hand himself over to gardai next Wednesday at 9.30am.

He said he has made it clear to gardai all along that he would return to Ireland from Spain if charges were ever brought against him.

"I had given my word,'' he added. "I made that clear to them before leaving – and that was always going to be the case.

"I've come back home for Audrey who's really not coping well with everything. She's in bits and is really in a bad way with her health."

Mr Mahon, who lives in Spain with Amy's mother, Audrey, had been asked by Gardai to return to Ireland on foot of the DPP ruling.

The charges relate to the death of his partner Audrey's son, Dean Fitzpatrick (23), who was fatally stabbed during a scuffle.

The incident took place in an apartment at Burnell Square apartments, at Northern Cross, on the Malahide Road, on May 25 last year.


He said Audrey was in favour of him returning to Ireland. "Audrey's delighted that we have a decision – so let's get on with it," he said. Following the stabbing of Dean Fitzpatrick, the father-of-one was rushed to Beaumont Hospital, but was pronounced dead soon after. He was stabbed in the abdomen.

Mr Mahon has admitted to the killing but said it was accidental. He said Dean ran at him while he was holding a knife he had moments earlier taken from him.