| 13.6°C Dublin

Stab murders 'tore us apart' says victim's girl

THE daughter of murder victim Marion Graham has told how the horrendous stabbing in Turkey has torn her family apart after her former boyfriend was found guilty.

Shannon Graham was 15 when Recep Cetin (22) killed mother Marion and pal Cathy Dinsmore.

Recep, who was working as a waiter in Izmir when he met Shannon, was jailed for life yesterday, with a ruling the term must be served in solitary confinement.

Outside Izmir Bayrakli Fifth High Criminal Court, Shannon made a short statement alongside friends and family of both victims. She said: "I am just satisfied with the result. These murders tore us apart."


Recep showed no emotion as the verdict was read out. His father Eyup Cetin (43) was found not guilty of aiding and abetting his son in the killing.

The bodies of the victims, both 53, were discovered in a secluded woodland on the outskirts of Izmir, south east Turkey, in 2011.

George Dinsmore, the brother of Cathy, said he was "relieved and happy" Recep had been given the maximum sentence possible.

Family lawyer Baris Kaska told how the post-sentencing atmosphere had been more reflective than celebratory.

He said: "The trial is finally over. We believe the verdict is right. This is the highest sentence Turkish courts can issue on such a crime."

Before sentencing, Recep had pleaded for leniency, claiming he was too young for an adult court and that he had acted in self-defence.

But judges at the Izmir Bayrakli Fifth High Criminal Court rejected Cetin's claims and sentenced him to two whole-life terms and ordered that they must be served in solitary confinement.

They found his father not guilty of aiding and abetting on a 2-1 majority, despite damning evidence from a secret witness. The chief judge had voted to convict Eyup, but he was overruled by his colleagues.

The taxi driver left the court a free man after more than two years in custody.

The case was hit by a number of setbacks due to Recep Cetin's lies and a series of blunders. Recep first claimed he was 17, which would have seen him tried in more lenient youth court.

When tests showed he was in his 20s, his lawyer claimed he was mentally ill and needed psychological evaluation.

Farcically, the court then ordered the mental health examination to be carried out on his father, before realising their error.

At the last hearing, Recep finally admitted his guilt outright and claimed he had killed the women out of "love" because he didn't want to lose Shannon.