| 15.5°C Dublin

Son dies after choking on his lunch

A man died after choking on a piece of meat while eating lunch out with his mother, an inquest has heard.

Anthony Adamson (43) of Rossmore Avenue, Ballyfermot, Dublin 10 was rushed by ambulance to James Connolly Memorial Hospital, Blanchardstown on the afternoon of October 11, 2009 after he collapsed while eating lunch with his mother, Maureen Adamson, at the West County Hotel.

The elderly lady told an inquest at Dublin County Coroners Court: "I knew immediately something was wrong. He went purple in the face and lost colour. I asked what was wrong and he didn't say a word -- he just stared at me."

Coroner Dr Kieran Geraghty recorded a cause of death as asphyxia due to choking on food and a verdict of accidental death.