| 11.2°C Dublin

Sitting room screams alerted woman's son to stab attack horror


A woman leaves flowers at the scene in Clonsilla

A woman leaves flowers at the scene in Clonsilla

A woman leaves flowers at the scene in Clonsilla

The son of a woman who died after being stabbed multiple times at her home was alerted when he heard screams from the sitting room, the Herald understands.

Mother-of-two Jean Eagers was attacked at the house in the Willow Wood Grove estate in Clonsilla at around 11.30am on Sunday.

A source told how her son was alerted to the horrific attack when he heard screaming coming from the sitting room of the family home.

When he entered the room, he witnessed his mother being attacked, but when he tried to intervene it is alleged he was threatened that "you will be next".

He then fled the scene and sought to obtain help for his mother and emergency services were called to the scene.

Ms Eagers (57) died at her home from her injuries, which are believed to include multiple stab wounds to the chest area.


Victim Jean Eagers with husband Billy

Victim Jean Eagers with husband Billy

Victim Jean Eagers with husband Billy

Sources say the weapons removed from the scene for forensic examination include a samurai sword and a meat cleaver.

Jean's husband Billy (60) was arrested at the scene but required medical treatment for self-inflicted stab injuries which delayed the beginning of his questioning period.

He was still in hospital last night under armed guard and was not expected to be released until today at the earliest.


His period of detention and questioning will begin when he is transported back to Blanchardstown Garda Station.

He can be questioned for up to 24 hours before being released or charged.

On Sunday, neighbours described seeing him being taken from his neat dormer bungalow in the mature estate in handcuffs by gardai after a dramatic standoff.

Neighbours had raised the alarm when Jean and Billy's son ran to them from the house to seek help.

They said Mr Eagers had bloodstains on his head as he was being led out of the property.

He had initially refused to come out of the house when armed gardai demanded he open the door.

Gardai had to break a window and use flash grenades to disorientate him before they stormed the house.

Yesterday, neighbours and colleagues of Ms Eagers left flowers at the gate of the house, where gardai were still working gathering evidence.

"My son was in school with Jean's son, and she used to make lunch for them when they would come home on their break. Jean was a very kind woman," said Claudia Mar as she left flowers in her memory.

"My husband is a taxi driver, just like Billy. They knew each other well and nobody had anything bad to say about him. He was always very calm," she added.

"Everyone is shocked at how this happened.

"Jean was very well known and liked and she was a quiet lady."

Colleagues who worked with Ms Eagers at Marks and Spencer at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre arrived in a group and wept openly as they left flowers.


"I will miss your bright smile, Jean. You are forever in my heart. Shine bright," said one tribute card.

"Jean. Always in our hearts. Thoughts, prayers, love always," said another.

The couple had lived in Willow Wood Grove for around 20 years.

Local Fine Gael councillor Kieran Dennison said "this is a quiet area and the community is in shock".

Fianna Fail councillor Tom Kitt said: "No matter what you say or do, an incident like that affects the whole community."