| 16.6°C Dublin

Sinister 'we'll get you' messages left on hit-and-run victim's phone


Edward Lynch was hit by car

Edward Lynch was hit by car

Edward Lynch was hit by car

The driver of a car that hit a man who later died said he was driving under duress.

Richard Dekker was driving his girlfriend's Nissan Micra on February 22, 2009 when it struck Edward Lynch, who died three days later.

Mr Dekker told gardai that two men entered the car and one grabbed the steering wheel and swerved towards Mr Lynch, who was struck in the back by the driver's wing mirror.

Mr Lynch, of Oranmore Road, Ballyfermot, was walking along Claddagh Road when he was hit. He was thrown on to the bonnet of another car.

The night before his death, he had complained of stomach cramps and "an awful pain" in his chest, according to his sister, Elaine Lynch. The following morning, her phone rang.

"It was Mam on the phone and she was hysterical, she was saying, 'I can't wake Edward up, he won't wake up'," said Ms Lynch.

Her mother, Jennifer, said: "I said, 'Edward, stop messing', and I shook him but he was freezing cold," she said.

The family then discovered threatening messages on Mr Lynch's phone, and gardai arrived the next morning.


"I love Edward and I don't know how I am going to cope without him," his mother said.

Det Sgt Denis Smith said Mr Lynch went with a friend, Bernard Harding, to Claddagh Road to buy cocaine on February 22.

"He was walking back to my car. Next thing, another car came and swerved in and hit him and then swerved back out," said Mr Harding.

Det Sgt Smith said there was no question that Mr Lynch was struck deliberately.

Messages left after the incident said "We didn't get you this time but we will get you again", Sgt Smith said. The messages were traced to a brother of two brothers travelling in the Nissan Micra when Mr Lynch was hit.

He died of haemorrhage and shock due to a ruptured spleen caused by a crush injury to the abdomen, according to a post mortem report carried out by Prof Marie Cassidy.

Insp Colm O'Malley said the death had been investigated and reviewed but no prosecution was directed.

He said gardai had not been able to establish the exact cause of the crush injury.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell, at Dublin Coroner's Court, adjourned the inquest pending further evidence from Prof Cassidy until May 13.