| 9°C Dublin

Shot mechanic had been getting death threats, inquest told


Liam Murray, killed in 2009

Liam Murray, killed in 2009

Liam Murray, killed in 2009

A Dublin mechanic who was shot dead in his home in Rathfarnham in 2009 had been subjected to ongoing threats and intimidation in the years before he was killed, an inquest has heard.

Fiona Murray told Dublin Coroner's Court yesterday that she had recorded a call from a known individual on March 20, 2006, who threatened to kill her brother a few days before he had received a similar threat himself.

Liam Murray (42), a single man with no children and originally from Templeogue, was shot dead in his home at Rockbrook Cottages, Cruagh Road, Rathfarnham, in March 2009.

He was last seen alive on St Patrick's Day in 2009 but his body was not found until three days later.

Although two men were arrested in 2011 as part of the subsequent garda investigation, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) directed there was insufficient evidence to charge anyone in relation to his death.

Ms Murray told the inquest that she and her brother reported the calls to gardai and Mr Murray had been advised to take precautions with his personal security.

Over the following seven months, she said her brother was involved in a number of incidents with a particular individual which culminated in an attempt on his life when shots were fired into his bedroom on November 11, 2006, while he was sleeping.


She knew the threats against her brother continued at least until May 2007 but she had assumed "naively" that the garda investigation into the matter was progressing.

The inquest heard that Mr Murray had been drinking with friends in the Headline bar at Leonard's Corner on St Patrick's Day in 2009 before he drove home in the early evening.

Martin Harmon, a close friend of the deceased, told the inquest he had witnessed a row between Mr Murray and another man in the same bar two weeks before his death.

Mr Harmon said his friend, whom he called "Blackie", had hit the other man on the nose before leaving the pub.

He said the other individual called Mr Murray a "b*****d" and said he would get him killed by either his brother or friends.

Questioned by Breffni Gordon BL, for the Murray family, Mr Harmon said he had regarded this individual as a spoofer and not capable of carrying out his threat.

Another friend, Gerry Kavanagh, said he believed Mr Murray started experiencing troubles after he had bought a property in Dundrum in 2004.

Mr Kavanagh said he believed the shooting at his home was linked to the Dundrum property.

The hearing will resume today before a jury of seven men and three women.