| -3.2°C Dublin

Shooting victims remain on danger list after gun attacks

TWO DUBLIN men remain in a serious condition in hospital -- more than a month after they were shot in separate incidents.

Gun victims Anthony 'The Mole' McDonagh and innocent doorman Wayne Barrett both received life-saving treatment at Beaumont Hospital after they were shot in July.

Both men, who were injured in unrelated attacks, suffered horrific injuries during Dublin's summer of bloodshed. Their conditions were described as critical for weeks but a spokesperson for Beaumont Hospital confirmed to the Herald that they had stabilised.


Despite their improving conditions, both men are still in the Intensive Care Unit with serious injuries.

Innocent doorman Wayne Barrett suffered head injuries when he was shot as he stood outside the Players Lounge in Fairview.

For a time, Barrett's mother Mary McNeil was unable to place a hand on her son because she was told she could stimulate brain activity that might kill him.

"We are not allowed to touch him because they don't want any brain activity because of the injuries," she said at the time.

"The bullet is lodged in his head. It has broken up. If I touch him the brain will register that. You can't touch him, you can't hold his hand."

Wayne Barrett was also shot twice in the body during the attack in which innocent customers Austen 'Ossie' Purcell (23) and Brian Masterson (30) were also injured.

The shooting took place around 12.30am on the morning of July 26, at the pub on the corner of Fairview Strand and Philipsburgh Avenue.

Mr Barrett was outside the front door of the premises and some customers were chatting nearby when the gunman ran across the road.

Dressed in a balaclava and dark clothing, the gunman opened fired with two handguns before he reached the pub, injuring the three men.

Meanwhile, Anthony 'the Mole' McDonagh, who was shot five times in the side and chest during another attack, has had his condition changed to stable after he had a positive response to treatment.


Uncle and nephew Anthony McDonagh (45) and Kieran McDonagh (26) were targeted by a lone gunman as they made their way to work.

They came under fire as they sat in their white Ford van after being stopped at what they thought were council roadworks in Finglas on July 15.

The man standing in the road, who was wearing a high-visibility vest, walked over to the van and produced a 9mm handgun.

He began firing, hitting Anthony McDonagh in the side and chest. His nephew managed to get out of the van and tried to run to safety but he was shot in the shoulder.

Just as he was about to finish both men off, the hitman's gun jammed and he fled on foot.

In 2008, a member of the McDonagh family gave evidence in the UK at the murder trial of another member of the Travelling community.

This man told the court that there was a "price on his head" and that he had been threatened with being shot because he was appearing as a prosecution witness.

The other Traveller was subsequently found guilty of murder.

Anthony McDonagh had been warned several times by gardai that his life was in danger after receiving intelligence that threats had been made against him.

No arrests have been made in either of the investigations.