| 5.8°C Dublin

Shooting victim 'was not in fear of his life' - mum


Darren Guerrine

Darren Guerrine

Darren Guerrine

a young man who was shot dead at close range had given no indication he was afraid for his life, an inquest heard.

The body of Darren Guerrine (21), from La Touche Road in Bluebell, Dublin 12, was found on the north bank of the Grand Canal near the fifth lock gate in Bluebell on February 18, 2008.

He had been shot in the head and Dublin Coroner's Court heard that his injuries meant that he had to be identified using his fingerprints.


His mother Geraldine Guerrine told the inquest that her son was not in fear for his life at the time. "He was a very happy-go-lucky fella," she said.

She became concerned on the same morning he was discovered when she saw that he had left the lights on in his room and the bed had not been slept in.

She tried ringing him but the calls rang out. "He would always answer to me whether he was in good or bad form," she said.

He was last seen alive at the canal on the evening before the body was discovered. He was seen standing in the middle of the lock gate at around 8.15pm by a friend who told gardai that Mr Guerrine was dressed in dark clothing with the hood of his top pulled up.

The body was found at 7.10am by passersby, including Brendan Lawlor, who said they found Mr Guerrine lying face up.

He was wearing white latex gloves and there were gun cartridges around the body, he said.

The post-mortem was carried out by deputy state pathologist Dr Michael Curtis. He found that Mr Guerrine died as a result of a single, close-range shotgun wound to the left side of the head.


Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said that the evidence indicates that death was instant.

Mr Guerrine had been dead for a number hours before he was found. Detective Inspector Sean Campbell said that gardai believe he died shortly after he left his home.

A file was submitted to the DPP and they have requested that further inquiries be made, he told the court.

"There is insufficient evidence at the moment to prosecute," he said.

The jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing by a person or persons unknown.