| 15.4°C Dublin

'She bit in to my nostril and ripped part of my nose off'

THIS IS the young Dublin woman who had part of her nose ripped off in a savage attack. Aoife Flood (23) remained in hospital today as doctors battled to restore her face. Gardai have renewed their appeal for the public's assistance as they attempt to track down the woman responsible for the "rabid" attack.

Ms Flood told how the woman put her in a headlock before biting part of her nose off.

"She shook her head from side-to-side and ripped the right side of my nose off," Aoife revealed. No arrests have been made but detectives are confident of catching the female perpetrators.

The Herald has launched a campaign to curb late night, drink-fuelle violence. The nose attack occurred on the same weekend journalist Eugene Moloney died in an alleged random attack on a night out in Dublin.

Officers from Pearse Street Garda Station are particularly interested in speaking to a taxi driver who may have picked up the suspect following the assault.

Ms Flood was socialising in the well-known O'Reilly's Pub on Tara Street just before she was viciously attacked.

She revealed how another reveller approached her outside, before putting her in a headlock before savagely biting off her part of her nose.

"She bit on to my nostril and shook her head from side-to-side and ripped the right side of my nose off," she said.

And she added that she only realised the severity of the injuries when blood began to "squirt" from her face.

In a fresh appeal, Pearse Street Superintendent Joe Gannon described the attack as "rabid".

"This was a rabid attack on a beautiful young woman, who was completely innocent and ended up with a serious injury," he said.

"It is imperative that we find the perpetrator and bring her to justice," he added.

The female suspect is also alleged to have assaulted three other women before fleeing the scene.

She is described as 5ft 3ins tall, of slim build, with long black hair and was wearing black jeans and a white top.

Gardai also want to speak to a female friend who is described as slightly taller and heavier in build with hair tied up in a bun.

She was wearing a black cardigan and purple top.

Gardai believe a taxi driver may have picked up the women after the attack, which happened at around 2.45am on Sunday on George's Quay.

Ms Flood, from Blanchardstown in west Dublin, bravely spoke on RTE's Liveline about her hopes that doctors can restore her nose.


"They are taking a skin graft from my forehead so I'm going to be left with a long scar on my forehead and scar on my nose," she told Joe Duffy.

The horrifying attack was one of several incidents to happen across the weekend.

Major pressure is mounting on Justice Minister Alan Shatter to address the serious level of violence on the streets of the capital which have left families on high alert.