THE HSE said the death of a seventh elderly patient from the Nazareth House nursing home in Donegal was not related to the flu outbreak.
The resident passed away at the home yesterday -- following the deaths of six other patients over a two-week period.
Influenza A was responsible for the deaths of the three women and three men, all aged in their 80s and 90s, at the private nursing home.
However, the most recent death is not believed to be related to the current outbreak, the Health Service Executive said.
The HSE said it would closely monitor the situation under the guidance of a public health team.
"The Public Health Department, HSE North West is of the medical opinion that this death is not related to the current outbreak," the HSE said in a statement.
"The HSE North West Public Health team including medical doctors, nurses and surveillance scientists continue to closely manage and monitor the situation."
Employees at the Nazareth House nursing home said they did not wish to add anything further to statement.
The six patients who died from complications relating to the illness passed away on dates between March 22 and April 2.
A total of 14 residents aged in their 80s and 90s are now suffering from flu at the home in Buncrana.
The authority was called in to the private nursing home when a GP notified the HSE about the flu outbreak on April 1.
A Health Information And Quality Authority inspection team left the home earlier this week.
The HSE team has been stationed at the residential care facility where patients who are ill have been segregated from other residents.