| 14.3°C Dublin

Serial sex offender (74) jailed after theft from restaurant and shop


Sex offender Anthony Goodman was jailed for three months.

Sex offender Anthony Goodman was jailed for three months.

Sex offender Anthony Goodman was jailed for three months.

A notorious sex offender has been jailed for burgling a restaurant and a shop, claiming he was looking for the toilet when frightened staff confronted him.

Anthony Goodman (74), who has been banned from public transport as part of his sex offender order, snatched €150 from a restaurant worker's purse in a staff room.

In the second case, he was disturbed by a staff member in a cosmetics shop, but left empty-handed.

The woman found her purse had been taken out of her bag, but nothing was stolen.

Goodman, who has 200 convictions in Ireland and the UK, including multiple sexual assaults and buggery of an animal, admitted burglary at the restaurant. He denied the shop offence, but Judge Flann Brennan found him guilty at Dublin District Court. He was jailed for three months.


The judge dismissed another charge that he had breached his public transport ban.

The court heard Goodman told gardai he arrived at one of the crime scenes on the Dart. However, the copy of his banning order had been sent to the wrong address.

The court heard the shop burglary happened at L'Occitane in Dundrum Town Centre on July 29, 2017.

An employee said she saw the staff room door open and thought it was her colleague, but it was Goodman.

She stopped him and asked if he was all right. He said he was looking for the bathroom and she tried to direct him.

"Before I could finish my sentence, he was out of the shop," she said.

"He seemed so shocked that I had talked to him, it was like he wasn't expecting it at all."

The woman was shocked at what happened and checked her handbag. The purse had been removed and a mass card pulled out, but nothing was taken. The duty manager got CCTV footage for Gda Sinead Murphy and Sgt Pat McDonald that identified Goodman, who he knew.

When interviewed, Goodman admitted it was him and said he did not remember what he was doing, but he walked around out of "curiosity".

"I didn't have a thought in my mind to do anything wrong," he said, then told gardai: "I went in there for unlawful purposes, I am trespassing but I didn't take anything."

He accepted that the woman shop worker "probably did" get a fright.

He insisted he had his own money that day, saying: "I never leave myself skint."

The other burglary was at Toss restaurant on Main Street, Blackrock, on October 20, 2017.

Goodman entered a staff area and was disturbed and confronted by a female employee. He told her he was looking for the bathroom and left.

The victim checked her purse in the staff room and discovered €150 had been taken from it.

Gardai saw Goodman on CCTV in a distinctive black cap with a "flame effect" on it.

He was then seen at Blackrock Dart Station wearing the same cap and was arrested.


When he showed gardai his ID, there was a "substantial" amount of money in his wallet.

It was alleged he told gardai he had travelled to Blackrock from Dun Laoghaire on the Dart and he was charged with breaching the order banning him from public transport.

However, gardai conceded that the copy of the order was posted to an old address.

Goodman was in custody on remand when his latest cases came before the court.

His solicitor, Anne Fitzgibbon, said he had been in Ireland since 1981, married an Irish woman in 1983 and had two grown sons.

The elder son was taking care of his younger brother, who was autistic, the court heard.

Goodman was worried about his wife, as she was not well and there was nobody to care for her while he was in prison.