| 16.3°C Dublin

Scotland killer could now face assault trial here

GARDAI want a convicted murderer extradited from Scotland to face trial here.

Senior detectives want killer Patrick Rae returned to the Republic to stand trial for the alleged sexual assault of a Dublin woman.

Rae, who is serving a 20-year sentence in Scotland for the murder of mum-of-three Mary McLaren, had been facing charges for the alleged sexual assault in Dublin in April 2008. However, he fled the country before the trial.

The 41-year-old Longford labourer fled to Scotland, where he raped and murdered a young mum in Dundee on February 25, 2010.

Rae, who has 13 previous convictions, including rape and serial assault, was on the run from the gardai when he carried out the Dundee attack.

Two warrants had been issued here for his arrest before he killed Ms McLaren, but he still managed to travel abroad and begin a new life in Scotland.

Senior police in Scotland have already published a report into how he was able to flee to Scotland when he was wanted in Ireland back in February 2010.


However, the review does not blame the Irish or Scottish authorities for allowing the sex offender to travel to Scotland. In 1997, Rae was convicted and sentenced to seven years for the rape of a woman in Longford dating back to July 1996.

A year after being released in 2002, he was convicted of possession of a knife and threatening behaviour before going on to commit over a dozen offences ranging from theft to drink driving and other road traffic offences.

He was subsequently charged with an alleged sexual assault on a 30-year-old woman in Portmarnock, Dublin, in April 2008.

Rae was sent forward for trial in Dublin in May of that year but failed to appear in court in November 2008. Shortly after, he fled to Scotland with a warrant outstanding for his arrest.

A bench warrant was issued for his arrest in the Republic but a European-wide arrest warrant was not applied for.

Rae had stayed in various parts of Scotland before moving into a flat in Arbroath with his Scottish girlfriend. He did not tell the Irish authorities of his change of address, which he was required to do.

He also changed the spelling of his second name from Rea to Rae when he moved to Scotland.

The serial sex offender lost his bid to have his conviction overturned last November.