| 26.5°C Dublin

Scissor Sisters detective leads body part hunt

The detective who solved the infamous Scissor Sisters murder is now heading up the search to identify the body parts found in a Dublin recycling plant.

Detective Superintendent Christy Mangan led the inquiry into the murder of Farah Noor, whose headless body was found in March 2005 and whose identity took months to unravel.

Now he is faced with an even tougher task to identify the man, parts of whose body have been found at the Thornton's recycling plant in Dublin.

In the Farah Noor case all of the dismembered body, apart from his head which was never found, had been placed in black bin bags. In the current case only a complete leg and some bone and skull fragments have been found so far.

post mortem

No vital organs, hands or teeth have been discovered, which would help to make a positive identification.

An initial post mortem has been unable to determine the cause of death but gardai believe the person was murdered.

Officers are now immersed in a grisly search through 500,000 tonnes of rubbish at the recycling plant for more body parts.

Every tiny piece of possible evidence they do find has to be photographed and bagged before being transferred to Beaumont Hospital, where the parts are being pieced together in a mortuary.

Gardai may have to rely on a detailed scientific analysis of the bone to discover more about the victim.

This kind of analysis, known as Stable Isotope Profiling or Carbon Isotope Testing, can tell where a victim has come from through information about the person's diet, which lodges in their skeleton.

Farah Noor had to be identified through this process.

It revealed that Noor had come from the Horn of Africa and had come to Ireland about six years before his death.

Water molecules in his system also indicated that he was likely to live in Dublin's north inner city.

This focused the inquiry on Dublin's African community. An identity was suggested which was later confirmed by DNA testing with family members.


Once identified, gardai were able to trace Noor's last movements to a house in Richmond Cottages in Dublin, where he had been with his then-
girlfriend Kathleen Mulhall.

Her daughters were later convicted of beating Noor to death and cutting up his body with a kitchen knife.

Charlotte Mulhall was jailed for life for his murder, while Linda was convicted of manslaughter.

The leg found at the recycling plant was not in the latter stages of decomposition, indicating that the death is likely to have occurred in recent weeks.

Scientists will try to generate a DNA profile which can be checked against Garda Forensic records and also be checked worldwide through Interpol.

While gardai are not clear how the man was killed, they believe he was dumped at the recycling plant as the best way to hamper any murder investigation.