| 7°C Dublin

Rush-hour commuter chaos as power fails on Luas Green Line

Commuters using the Luas were thrown into travel chaos this morning when a power failure knocked out the entire Green Line for the second time in 24 hours.

The tram line that runs from St Stephen's Green in the city centre to Brides Glen near Cherrywood in south Dublin was out of action during early morning rush hour.

The power failure happened before the first tram at 5.30am and travellers were forced to use buses or make alternative plans to get to work.


The cause of the power failure was not known early today but Luas engineers were examining if it was related to a temporary power outage yesterday afternoon that was caused by a lightning strike on the same line at around 5pm.

Dervla Brophy of Luas operators Transdev said the company was trying to locate the cause of the fault as commuters in rush hour were trying to find an alternative way to travel.

"It is a power failure that effected the whole line from St Stephen's Green to Bride's Glen. Luas tickets are also valid on Dublin Bus and in addition there is a Finnegans bus service from Sandyford to Brides Glen," Ms Brophy added.

The line later opened fully at around 9.45am but at that stage most of the morning travellers had already either cancelled their journeys or found an alternative way to get into the city.

"We can't say for certain if the power cut was related to a lightning strike, but I would say there is a probability that there is a link," Ms Brophy explained.

An AA Roadwatch spokesperson said the Luas stoppage had a knock-on effect on traffic in the capital around rush hour.

"We had reports of heavier-than-normal traffic in Ranelagh around the Chelmsford Road and Charlemont Street areas and also in Clonskeagh," they said.

"There were also delays in Rathmines and Rathgar and Wexford Street was slower than usual," they added.


Meanwhile, two people were injured in a four-car collision on the M50 southbound this morning.

They were taken to hospital and it is understood that their injuries are not serious.

The accident occurred on the M50 southbound between Junctions 4 (Ballymun) and 5 (Finglas).

The two outermost right-hand lanes were blocked for a period as Dublin Fire Brigade attended the scene.

At the other end of the M50 there were heavier delays were also reported at Junction 16 Cherrywood heading northbound, according to AA Roadwatch.