| 7.3°C Dublin

Rolf Harris faces three new sex charges

Close

Entertainer Rolf Harris is surrounded by members of the media as he left court last September

Entertainer Rolf Harris is surrounded by members of the media as he left court last September

Entertainer Rolf Harris is surrounded by members of the media as he left court last September

Rolf Harris is facing three more sex assault charges, including one allegedly involving a girl aged seven or eight, Britain's public prosecutor said today.

Harris (83) was already facing 13 child sex offences, dating from the 1980s, as part of an investigation that has led to the arrest of more than a dozen celebrities.

Prosecutors said the new counts relate to alleged offences against three females, one aged seven or eight in 1968 or 1969, one aged 14 in 1975 and one aged 19 in 1984.

The Crown Prosecution Service said the alleged offences related to one existing complainant and two new complainants.

 

INDECENT

Harris (right) had already appeared in court to face nine counts of indecent assault related to two girls aged under 16 in the 1980s and four counts of making indecent images of a child.

Harris, who has lived in Britain for more than 50 years, is due to enter a plea on January 14 and a trial date is set for April 30.

His lawyer was not available for comment following news of the new charges, but has indicated that he intends to plead not guilty to all charges.

Harris was arrested in March as part of an investigation triggered by revelations that the late BBC TV host Jimmy Savile was a prolific child sex abuser.

Harris has been a family favourite in Australia and Britain for decades, hosting TV shows and producing chart hits including Two Little Boys and Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy