| 14.4°C Dublin

'Remarkably stupid' Irishman in Australia became stuck in roof while trying to sneak into nightclub

Close

Hugh McMahon (18) following his appearance at the Southport Magistrates Court (Photo: ABC News)

Hugh McMahon (18) following his appearance at the Southport Magistrates Court (Photo: ABC News)

Emergency services were called after Hugh McMahon (18) became stuck in the roof cavity of the nightclub (Photo: 9News)

Emergency services were called after Hugh McMahon (18) became stuck in the roof cavity of the nightclub (Photo: 9News)

/

Hugh McMahon (18) following his appearance at the Southport Magistrates Court (Photo: ABC News)

An Irishman living in Australia who became stuck in a roof while trying to sneak back into a Sydney nightclub was dubbed 'remarkably stupid' by a judge.

Emergency services had to rescue Hugh McMahon (18) after he became stuck in the roof space of the Sin City nightclub just before 1am last night.

The 18-year-old, who is living in Australia on a one year visa, is living and working in Sydney.

His actions were described as 'remarkably stupid' by the judge.

In his sentencing, Magistrate Ron Kilner told the Irishman: "Drunk or sober it is a remarkably stupid thing you've done."

McMahon appeared in the Southport Magistrates Court this morning where he pleaded guilty to four charges including trespassing, wilful damage and two counts of being refused entry into a licensed premises.

He was fined $900 and ordered to pay $1,700 towards the repairs for the damage to the club's roof and a non-essential call out of the emergency services.

No conviction was recorded.

The court heard that McMahon had been thrown out of the club twice. He was first escorted from the premises by security guards when they found him sleeping on the couch.

Security guards later found him on the dancefloor after he managed to sneak in again. He was escorted from the club a second time.

The court heard McMahon proceeded to break into the roof space through a sliding door at apartments close by. He damaged the door's lock in his failed entry bid and then became entangled in wires and stuck among the pipes.

Emergency services were called to the club when a man could be heard screaming for help.


Privacy