| 5.3°C Dublin

Quays attack victim stabbed in the face

A YOUNG man has been stabbed in the face in a violent Dublin city centre attack.

The victim, from Clondalkin, was rushed to hospital with horrific knife injuries after a savage late night attack on the quays.

The attack took place almost 48 hours after an off-duty garda was beaten and mugged in Blanchardstown, west Dublin. The officer, stationed at Store Street, needed 18 stitches.

In last night's attack the 23-year-old victim was set upon at the 79 bus stop on Aston Quay, near the Ha'penny Bridge, and stumbled as far as O'Connell Bridge, along the south quays, before a passing garda beat patrol came across him.

The man had been stabbed in the face and was rushed to St James's Hospital by emergency services.

Gardai say the attack happened just before midnight.

Two areas of the Aston Quay were sealed off pending a forensic examination by members of the garda technical bureau early this morning

The first was at the bus stop where the attack happened, and the second was where the man was found at O'Connell Bridge.

A trail of blood leads from one scene to the other.

Large splatters of blood near the O'Connell Bridge scene indicate that the injured man bled profusely from his horrific wounds.

Gardai used plastic sheeting and improvised boxes and bin liners to cover the bloodstains.

It is unclear if the weapon used was a sharp implement or a glass, but gardai report that the man's injuries are 'severe'.

While none of the commercial premises along the route the injured man stumbled had external CCTV covering the street, gardai were today hoping to extract footage from a garda camera positioned on the street that could identify the attacker. No arrests have yet been made and the garda investigation is continuing.

Meanwhile, officers at Blanchardstown are investigating an unrelated assault on an off-duty garda who was beaten up, along with a friend, while walking in Hartstown Park at 3.45am on Saturday. The pair were badly beaten, and had their mobile phones and wallets stolen.

Despite their injuries the garda and his pal made their own way to James Connolly Memorial Hospital, where they were treated.

The young officer is a well-respected garda based at Store Street garda station. He was given 18 stitches and is expected to make a full recovery.