| 16.4°C Dublin

Petrol bomb thrown at Dublin house while young children were asleep inside


Garda: File photo

Garda: File photo

The smashed window of the house that was attacked

The smashed window of the house that was attacked


Garda: File photo

A family including two young children were lucky to escape unharmed after their home was attacked with a petrol bomb.

The incident happened at around 4.30am on Saturday as the family slept in the house on the Kilcronan estate in Bawnogue, Clondalkin.

A petrol bomb was thrown at the front door of the property, and an accelerant was also thrown through the front

window, but failed to ignite.

The family’s car was also attacked with a petrol bomb, engulfing it in flames.

The victims only woke up after their smoke alarm went off.

The children, as well as the woman, aged in her early 50s, and the man, in his early 40s managed to escape safely from the house.

Units of the Dublin Fire

Brigade extinguished the car fire. They also put out the flames that had badly damaged the front door of the house.


Investigating officers from Clondalkin Garda Station have not yet established a motive for the attack. No arrests have been made, and gardai have appealed for anyone with information to help them with their inquiries.

A source described the incident as “reckless” and expressed particular concern that two young children were in the house at the time of the attack.

“To throw a petrol bomb into a family home in the early hours of the morning shows a shocking and reckless level of intent,” said the source.

“It was an attack that aimed to inflict injury or worse.

“If it hadn’t been for the smoke alarm alerting this young family, God knows what result we would have ended up with.”

Neighbours last night expressed shock at the incident and described the family as “decent, genuine” people.

“I wouldn’t know them too well, but I’d say hello to them,” one neighbour told the Herald.

“They’re decent people. I don’t understand why something like this would happen.”

The incident comes almost a year after a Waterford teenager was left with severe scarring when the house she was in was targeted with a petrol bomb.

Roisin Halligan (12) suffered serious burns as a result of the incident, when she rescued her two young cousins.