TWO teenage girls have been charged after a Chinese man was allegedly knocked unconscious and had his phone and shoes stolen during a gang robbery in Dublin city centre.
The pair, aged 14 and 17, have been remanded in custody after their parents told and emotionally charged Dublin Children's Court they would not stand bail.
Judge William Early called for the intervention of the Child & Family Agency (CRA) to determine if the girls will now need to be put into care.
The parents of both teenagers said they would not take them home, with one mother describing the incident and her daughter's alleged involvement as "disgusting".
The teenagers, who have not yet entered pleas, are charged with robbery of the man, who is in his thirties, at Liffey Street in the early hours of Saturday morning. It is alleged he was knocked unconscious and that his €300 phone and shoes were taken from him during the incident.
The girls had spent two days in custody at a detention centre before being brought to the juvenile court.
Solicitor Michelle Finan, who represents both girls, said bail terms had been approved but in each case the parents were not currently willing to take them home.
The teenage co-defendants had their cases dealt with separately with the younger girl going before the judge first. Addressing the court, her father said there has been problems with her behaviour for the past two years and that he has been "battling to keep her off the streets".
He claimed he spent nights searching the city for his daughter, whom he said hangs around with older youths and men, and also takes drugs.
He had tried to get her help and drug counselling. However, she kept "running the streets" and was not safe.
He said "where she is now she is getting the help she needs because I cannot give it to her, and we have tried".
As she was escorted from court the girl faced her father and threatened to kill herself before telling him "don't talk to me again". "Sorry love," he replied, on the verge of tears.
The second girl's mother said her daugher was "not welcome in my home, that is disgusting what she done".
"She has been off the rails for the last 18 months," she added.
The case resumes later this month while gardai seek directions from the DPP.