| 11.5°C Dublin

Parents prepare four-day bride's tragic funeral

A BRIDE who fell from a bridge days after her wedding in a freak accident will be buried tomorrow.

Newlywed Caroline Cahalin (40), from Carndonagh, Co Donegal, suffered devastating head and back injuries when she fell backwards from a bridge and down a six-metre embankment in her home town at around 3am last Sunday morning.

Now the peninsula of Inishowen, where eight men perished in a road collision three weeks ago, is preparing for another tragic funeral.

Just last Thursday, Caroline Farren had been celebrating on the double, marking her 40th birthday by marrying her partner, Tony Cahalin, at the Guildhall in Derry.

The Celtic-mad supporter, described by pals as "fun-loving" and "always up for a laugh", was continuing her wedding celebrations with friends on Saturday night when the tragedy happened.

She had been sitting on the bridge, known locally as the Tul na Ri bridge, close by a nightclub of the same name, when she appeared to have lost her balance and fallen backwards, landing on a hard surface below.

Her grieving husband Tony, parents Danny and Patricia Farren and sister Jacqueline were last night struggling to come to terms with the freak accident.

"I just can't believe this has happened. To lose a daughter is a terrible tragedy," said her cousin Sean Farren, whose own daughter Sinead (22) was killed in a road collision shortly after she married nine years ago.

"They are devastated. I spoke with Danny who is my uncle. He said that I knew what it was like to lose a daughter because I had been there and now it had happened to him. It is unbelievable," he said.

Mr Farren is on holiday in Spain with his wife Magdalene, but they will be cutting their holiday short to make it back to Carndonagh for the funeral.

"Caroline was a lovely, bubbly, happy-go-lucky girl. It is worse than your worst nightmare come true," he said of the victim.

It is understood that Caroline and Tony had been socialising with friends at the Tul na Ri nightclub on Saturday night.

Following the fall she was treated at the scene before being rushed to Letterkenny General Hospital but, despite desperate attempts to save her, she was pronounced dead yesterday morning.

A garda source said yesterday that the death was under investigation but was being treated as a tragic accident.