| 7.3°C Dublin

Parents' fury at pipe bomb left in children's area

A pipe bomb discovered beside a flats complex has caused fear and anger among residents.

An Army bomb disposal unit was called to an area in central Dublin at lunchtime yesterday after a suspicious device was found in the North William Street flats complex in North Strand, close to Connolly Station and the IFSC.

It was said to have contained a number of improvised explosive device components, and the discovery led to a number of streets being closed off.

Parents angrily denounced those responsible after the potentially lethal device was left in a communal garden close to where children play.


"It's disgraceful that this is happening where young families live. A child could have picked up the bomb," said mother-of-three Patricia Mooney (39), speaking to the Herald during the emergency yesterday.

"It could have been a situation like that child recently, who lost his fingers when he picked up a bomb," said the mother, referring to an incident in Co Wicklow, in which five-year-old PJ Duffy lost a number of fingers.

An emergency evacuation of the complex in the north inner city was ordered by gardai shortly after 11am yesterday. "A lot of old people had to leave their homes and they've been left without their medication," Ms Mooney added. "One woman had to be lifted out of her bed."

Another resident, Tracey Carroll (33), said: "The caretaker found it and called the guards.

"A lot of detectives came banging on our doors and told us we had to leave right away as they didn't know yet if it was a real bomb.

"The Army came fairly quick, and we were also asked to stand much further away. The Army brought their robot with them. It's terrible the danger that this has caused.

"We were lucky it was the caretaker who found it. A child could have picked it up and brought it home," she said.


Mary McKuo (53) said people were angry to have been subjected to such an ordeal.

"It's disgraceful. I got some of the old people out of their flats. My blood pressure will be sky high later," she said.

Traffic diversions remained in place until about 1.30pm yesterday. An Army spokesman said the device was taken away for further analysis.

Security sources believe the device may have been left for collection by criminals to be later completed and used in an explosion.

The North William Street emergency happened less than 24 hours after another pipe-bomb device was found by council workers emptying bins in Tymon Park in Tallaght.

Army experts said the Tallaght pipe bomb was a viable explosive device.