| 6.9°C Dublin

Pair quizzed over dad's stab death released as gardai probe self-defence


Derek Reddin was killed on Monday night on Loughlinstown

Derek Reddin was killed on Monday night on Loughlinstown

Derek Reddin was killed on Monday night on Loughlinstown

Two men who were arrested in relation to the fatal stabbing of a 31-year-old dad in south Co Dublin were released without charge yesterday afternoon.

They had been in custody at Shankill Garda Station where they were questioned about the stabbing of dad-of-two Derek Reddin at around 11.30pm on Monday in Loughlinstown.

Gardai said a file on the case will now be prepared for the DPP.

One line in the investigation is that the man who stabbed Mr Reddin may have carried out the attack in self-defence.


The arrested pals from Loughlinstown and Ballybrack are not known criminals and are understood to have been socialising together in a local pub before the fatal fight happened at the junction of Loughlinstown Drive and Cherry Court.

It is understood that they were confronted by the victim and at least one other man and the fight then took place.

Mr Reddin suffered a fatal stab wound to the chest.

Yesterday the Herald revealed that the fatal stabbing was linked to a number of other recent violent incidents in south Dublin, including a claw hammer attack. During the fatal row Mr Reddin was stabbed in the chest and quickly collapsed from blood loss.

It is believed a man who was with him raised the alarm but gardai would not confirm that it was one of the arrested suspects who had called emergency services.

Members of the Garda Armed Response Unit raced to the scene and tried to save him but his injuries were too severe.

He was pronounced dead at the scene when ambulance crews arrived.

Mr Reddin is understood to have been a victim of a previous pub assault as part of an escalating disagreement between local young men which led to Monday night's tragic fight, according to sources.

The victim, while known to gardai, was not considered a serious criminal and his most serious conviction was a two-year suspended sentence handed down at Dublin Circuit Court in November 2015 for a violent disorder incident.

The victim had a number of previous convictions at District Court level, including from an incident in October 2014 when he assaulted two gardai who called to his house to arrest him.

He admitted before Dun Laoghaire District Court in September 2015 to lashing out at Garda Peter O'Flynn and assaulting Garda James Wall by spitting at him.


Mr Reddin received a three-month sentence for this offence which the court heard arose because he asked gardai to come back to his house "in an hour" because he did not want his two children to see him being arrested.

Many people yesterday took to social media to recall a different side of the victim, who was described as a "happy" person who was an active volunteer who helped the poor.

It's believed Mr Reddin volunteered with the group You're Not Alone, which offers help to the homeless in Dublin. The group paid tribute to the victim on social media.