| 10.3°C Dublin

Pair caught in 'Thelma and Louise' van drama

AN IRISH Thelma And Louise have been arrested after a garda pursuit following a crime spree across five counties.

The two women were arrested near Dublin after a high-speed pursuit that brought them across the border from Co Down to the capital -- and involved vehicle swaps to try and evade gardai.

The women eventually crashed into another car on the M4 motorway -- after reaching speeds of 130mph during stages of the pursuit.

The pair, a 29-year-old, originally from Ballycullen, Dublin, and a 19-year-old, from Newry, were not seriously injured and were arrested by gardai.

The high-speed chase emulated Ridley Scott's 1991 movie classic Thelma And Louise, in which two female fugitives lead police on a lengthy car chase.

The women embarked on their 130km crime spree from Newry on Sunday, when a Mercedes car was stolen from the town.

The car was later spotted in Dundalk, Co Louth, and was then found abandoned on the Dublin Road in Navan -- where a white Renault van was taken from a parking area behind filling station.

The van was then driven to north Kildare where a set of car keys was stolen from a pub in Celbridge.

But the thieves were disturbed by a staff member as they tried to rob the vehicle in the car park so the women hopped back into the van.

Gardai set up roadblocks in Lucan and Leixlip in an effort to detain the suspects who were driving at speed in a dangerous manner.

The stolen van was driven through several traffic lights and reached a speed of 130mph in an 50mph zone.

The van then careered onto the M4 motorway but crashed into a car shortly afterwards, at 7pm, and the two women were detained.

They were taken to Leixlip Garda Station where they were questioned about vehicle theft, dangerous driving and driving under the influence of alcohol.

In Thelma And Louise, an Arkansas waitress and housewife, played by Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis, are seen taking off in a 1966 Ford Thunderbird, eventually driving over the Grand Canyon after a stand-off with police.