A DUBLIN woman died from complications, including blood poisoning, after she underwent gastric bypass weight-loss surgery in hospital.
An inquest into Annette Capocci (46), of Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9, heard she was admitted to the Beaumont Hospital on May 21, 2007, where she opted to have a gastric bypass operation for management of obesity.
Dublin City Coroner's Court heard that Mrs Capocci weighed 148kg. She had been obese for most of her life and had tried more conventional methods when attempting to lose weight previously, but had little success.
She was very anxious for the surgery to be conducted, Dublin City Coroner's Court was told.
Mrs Capocci, who had a number of health problems including diabetes, high blood pressure and asthma, suffered a number of post-operative complications, which included numbness in her legs and an abdominal wound infection.
The most significant complication, however, was the development of a sacral pressure sore. This lead to an ulcer with significant contamination by MRSA, VRE and e-coli.
Despite intensive treatment with antibiotics and anti-fungal medication, Mrs Capocci's condition deteriorated and she died on August 26, 2007.
The cause of her death was multi-organ failure with septicaemia (blood poisoning) secondary to a large sacral pressure ulcer following elective gastric bypass surgery, the inquest heard.
The coroner, Dr Brian Farrell, recorded a narrative verdict and expressed his condolences to Mrs Capocci's family.
Beaumont Hospital said it was the hospital's policy not to comment on specific cases.