| 8.9°C Dublin

Murder probe thug pulls gun on gardai in drugs bust


The scene, inset Alan O'Neill

The scene, inset Alan O'Neill

The scene, inset Alan O'Neill

A teenage thug who was previously arrested for the capital's latest gun murder pulled a shotgun on gardai when the taxi he was travelling in was stopped in Dublin.

The dramatic incident unfolded at Greenfort Avenue in Clondalkin at 6.50pm yesterday when members of the Ronanstown drugs unit intercepted the vehicle.

The target of the operation was an 18-year-old from Clondalkin who was arrested and questioned for two days about the murder of Alan O'Neill (35) in Tallaght last month.

On that occasion, he and another teenager were picked up by armed detectives as they ran from a scene where the burnt-out getaway car was discovered in the Belfry Square area.

However, both 18-year-olds were later released without charge and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

The Clondalkin teenager is back in garda custody today as well as two 23-year-old men with addresses in the Ballyfermot area after last night's arrests.

Officers seized four different types of drugs which have a combined value of around €4,000 it emerged today.

This includes quantities of heroin, cocaine, cannabis herb and ecstasy tablets which were being transferred from one location to another.

The suspects are being questioned at Clondalkin and Ronanstown Garda Stations.

"The teenager produced a gun when gardai moved in to make the arrest. This was a frightening experience for the officers but thankfully no-one was injured," a source said.

Gardai have been investigating whether the teenager who was arrested yesterday was paid to take part in the murder of Alan O'Neill, who was killed on May 27 at his home on Kiltalown Road in Tallaght.

Gardai got a call to say a man had been shot at 10.30pm, and when they arrived at Mr O'Neill's house they found him with serious injuries. He was later pronounced dead at Tallaght hospital.

Detectives are hunting for a third man who may have been the shooter in the killing.

Mr O'Neill was killed after getting involved in a pub row.