| 10.6°C Dublin

Mum who went into labour in Dublin: 'A weekend away became a three-month stay when my son was born early'


Sandy Parmer

Sandy Parmer

Sandy Parmer's baby

Sandy Parmer's baby


Sandy Parmer

What was supposed to be a weekend trip to Dublin turned into a three-month stay for this Birmingham mum who went into labour early.

Sandy Parmar's (31) baby boy Veer, now aged 10 weeks, was born at just 24 weeks, weighing just 1lb 4oz.

Sandy came here on July 4 with her best friend Sharon Byrne, who has family here.

"I came here to have a four-day break," she said.

"I checked with my doctor and midwife back home and they said it was safe for me to travel, because I was only 24 weeks' pregnant at the time."

When they arrived on Saturday Sandy had an early night. The next day they went to Bettystown, to see Sharon's sister. However, that evening, Sandy got cramps.

"I didn't think anything of it. I thought maybe it was just because I had been travelling and I was tired and everything, maybe that was what it was," Sandy said.

She had a meal that evening. But at 5am the next morning, which was a Monday, she started bleeding.

Sandy - who works for the Automobile Association - rang the Rotunda Hospital and was advised to come in for a check up.


"They told me I was 2cm gone, and I was in labour. I was quite shocked," said Sandy, who is married to Harprit.

She was kept in that night and Veer was born the next day at 5.30pm on July 7.

"He came out crying, which was good, and they took him straight to the intensive care unit upstairs," said Sandy.

Veer developed a lung infection, and a skin infection during his stay.

He also required laser treatment on his eyes, which was done last Thursday.

Veer is doing well and now weighs four pounds. Sandy is hoping that he may be discharged towards the end of next week.

"A doctor and a nurse from Birmingham Hospital are going to come and collect Veer and take him back," she said.

Luckily, throughout these months, Sandy was able to stay at 'Hugh's House' on Belvedere Place - the house used by parents with hospitalised children.

It was gifted by inspirational couple Ade Stack and Marty Curley, whose baby Hugh - who had a neuro-degenerative condition - passed away in August 2013.

They saw a vital need for such accommodation for parents from outside Dublin while their son was being treated at Temple Street.

"It's an amazing place," said Sandy, who said she wanted to thank everyone who has helped.

Meanwhile, Ade Stack told the Herald that volunteers with a trade were needed to do some work at the house including an electrician, painter-decorators and carpenters. Visit www.hughshouse.ie.