| 16.1°C Dublin

Mum endures a nightmare journey... but Dylan (5) sleeps all the way home

A Dublin mum told of how it took her and her five-year-old son almost four hours to get home while using the M50 and M1 Motorways last night.

Rachel Last (25) works in Mulhuddart in West Dublin and travels there from her home in Drogheda, Co Louth, every day.

Last night, it took her an hour to get from Blanchardstown to Clonshaugh in North Dublin -- a journey that would normally take 20 minutes.

But there was worse to come -- it took her another three hours to get from Clonshaugh to her home in Drogheda.

"On a good day, I could drive from Mulhuddart to Drogheda in one hour and 15 minutes.

"My son Dylan goes to school in Clonshaugh, which is where his grandparents live, and I pick him up from there every evening after work."

Rachel and Dylan left Clonshaugh at 6.30pm last night -- reaching their Drogheda home at 9.30pm.

"I should have known to turn back when it took me 45 minutes to get from the N32 to Dublin Airport -- that journey would normally take five minutes.

"But I thought because I had made it so far, I might as well power on.

"As soon as I saw the traffic, I turned around and said to my son 'Dylan, look at this', but he was asleep," she said.

Thankfully, he slept soundly as they made the three-and-a-half hour trip back home to Drogheda.

"Traffic inched slowly from Dublin Airport until the second exit in Balbriggan. It took me two hours to get there. It was exhausting. Traffic wasn't moving and motorists were getting out of their cars as they were desperate to go to the toilet or just to stretch their legs."

Thinking she had passed the worst, Rachel continued on with her journey.

"However, as I passed through Julianstown, in Co Meath, it appeared the roads hadn't been gritted or snow cleared so nobody could see any road markings.

"Traffic wasn't heavy here, but motorists just couldn't see where they were going. It was really dangerous.

"At this stage, I saw a number of people getting out of their vehicles and sticking their hazard lights on in the hard shoulder. They couldn't go any further.

"We eventually reached our front door at 9.30pm -- Dylan woke up and had no idea how long it had taken."