| 5.8°C Dublin

Mum detained after little Omar stabbed more than 20 times


Omar Omran tributes

Omar Omran tributes

Omar’s mother, Dr Maha Al-Adheem

Omar’s mother, Dr Maha Al-Adheem


Omar Omran tributes

A toddler who gardai suspect was knifed to death by his mother was stabbed more than 20 times, the Herald can reveal.

Three-year-old Omar Omran's mother, Dr Maha Al-Adheem (43), remained in garda custody last night for questioning.

Her period of detention was extended and officers are following a definite line of enquiry.

Dr Al-Adheem, an Iraqi, was arrested at St James's Hospital at 10am yesterday and detained at Crumlin Garda Station.

Gardai believe she was in the family's Riverside apartments home in Kimmage, south Dublin, when her son was attacked on Monday afternoon.

Dr Al-Adheem was found at 6.30pm with stab wounds to her side, which she is believed to have inflicted herself.

She was treated by Dublin Fire Brigade paramedics before being taken to St James's Hospital.

Yesterday morning she was deemed fit enough to be formally interviewed by detectives.


It is understood that Dr Al-Adheem did not need an interpreter while being questioned.

Emergency crews who dealt with the aftermath of the killing have been praised for the professional manner in which they dealt with the horrific scene that confronted them.

They had initially been told in a 999 call made by Dr Al-Adheem that her son had suffered a possible heart attack.

However, when they arrived at the flat, the scene left even long-experienced crew members distressed.

"There were emergency personnel there who have been exposed to all sorts of difficult situations and environments during their careers, but even they were taken aback by the scenes in the apartment," said a source.

"They were expecting one scenario but were confronted with something totally different."

An investigator dealing with the case said: "It is a credit to them all that they dealt with the situation with such professionalism and humanity.

"While the young boy could not be saved, the training and intervention of the crews helped prevent two lives being lost."

Medical crews and gardai have been offered counselling in the aftermath of the incident.

It is understood many have accepted the offer.

The Herald yesterday revealed that the tragic toddler lay dead in his bedroom for more than two hours before his body was discovered by emergency services.

Omar was found by paramedics at 6.30pm but gardai have established he was attacked at about 4pm.

His mother contacted emergency services and told them her son had gone into cardiac arrest.


A shrine to Omar has been growing steadily outside the apartments complex in Kimmage since news of his death first emerged.

Teddy bears, soft toys, flowers, candles and balloons have been left at the gates.

"Rest in peace, poor child. Fly with the angels," reads one message attached to a single flower.

Local people who did not know the child also paid tribute.

"It just seemed like the right thing to do," said Greg Byrne.